Thursday, February 7, 2013

Journey Through the Psalms #16


You will not abandon my soul

“Preserve me, Oh God, for in You I take refuge.” (vs.1a)

  || Read the entire chapter carefully. Pray that the Holy Spirit would help you understand & to apply it to your heart.

Now ask yourself, what are some of the things David believes about His Lord?
·     The Lord is good David looks nowhere else for good things.
o  “I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; there is no good apart from You.” (vs.1b)
·      The Lord is in control He holds David’s lot (or purpose/plan).
o  “the Lord is my chosen portion and my cup” (vs.5)
·     The Lord is strong so David is safe.
o  “because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken” (vs.8)
·     The Lord is wise David goes to Him for counsel.
o  “I bless the Lord who gives me counsel” (vs.7)

Do you see any more ways God reveals His character in this chapter?
Amidst the backdrop of an unsafe environment, the Lord’s attributes are displayed and appreciated by His creation. When we desire to be righteous in a world that loves danger and destruction, we look to Him and want to be refreshed by selfless love. When we are unsure whether we should take a job or go to school, get married or move out of the house, we need to know that He controls every environment we choose. When we make a wrong decision and need forgiveness, or we are obedient yet feeling unsafe, we can read over and over in the Psalms that the Lord is a safe refuge, and we are His. When we are unsure of ourselves, confused about our relationships, or needing desperate hope that tomorrow will not be the same He is the best counselor who will comfort and instruct like no one else.
Please do not forget that you have His attention.

|| Write down key words from verses that stand out to you.
Spend a few minutes living in the moment with just you & Him, remembering that He will not abandon your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment